Saturday, November 10, 2012

30 paintings in 30 days, American Samoa, Day 12



Red Ginger Flower

Paige and Alei asked;
“Do you know the people in your paintings?”

Most of the time I paint people I know, but some of the paintings are from photographs that I’ve taken at events or on the street and I don’t know who they are. I chose the pictures for this series because they are familiar scenes in American Samoa. Mary (on the staff at the library) is friends with the cab driver in one of the paintings. She told him about it so he stopped by the library to see the result. It was fun to meet him and I’m sure glad he liked it since you just never know. Plus friends who are coming to visit might need a good cab driver, so I got his number for them.      

Tasi
   

2 comments:

  1. Its so fun to follow this blog. Your paintings are rich and vibrant, and the way you use stories and photos to connect the process of painting with the community around you is enchanting. LOVE what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with mernie.. these extra stories/questions/answers add another dimension to this project. BTW, this flower above is the same kind that I remember vividly from my Hawaii childhood. Geckos hide in there, and it was easy for my sister to grab them and then play with them like dolls.. give them baths and so on......(we were about 7-8 years old)

      Delete