Friday, November 4, 2011

90 in 90 Molokai, Day 33, Lost Chick

        The babies are hard wired to peep like the house is on fire as soon as their mother is out of sight. Walking back from town today, I heard the racket before I spotted a tiny chick on the side of the road, no mother chicken in sight. Of course I scared the baby and sadly it ran into traffic, missed getting flattened by inches and plunged back into the grass where it was soon hopelessly tangled. Great, still no Mom so I picked the chick up and and went looking. I set it down every now and then so it would make a racket and hopefully the Mom would respond, but no luck. After half an hour of this routine the chick was running back to me. Just to say, I'm typing with one hand because the peeping doesn't stop unless it's curled up in my other hand. I did the entire painting holding it (don't know how to tell if it's a boy or a girl). I've made a few calls looking for a home and I'm sure someone with a farm won't mind one more chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment