Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pu'u O Hoku Ranch Animals, Molokai


          Last month I visited Pu’u O Hoku Ranch to photograph animals. After bumping down a dirt road toward the ocean we stopped in a wide field. Slowly a hundred cows, their calves and a giant bull ambled over, stood in a circle and stared at us. Herds of herbivores have a calming effect on the soul. I swear an hour in a pasture is therapeutic. Granted it could be a throwback to caveman DNA, which would make it the modern equivalent of perusing a well-stocked grocery store. Lacking a spear I took several hundred pictures. The cows and calves were healthy and content. I’ve painted cows before, but I keep going back to pictures I’ve taken at this ranch because the animals seem to be having a better time. I don’t know if they care about the view, but it was stunning. I wished I could stay longer, like forever, since it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Niue is too, but it’s a little harder to get there.

     Pu’u O Hoku Ranch has charming guest houses and so much more. If you have ever had the desire to visit Molokai check it out. It is a beautiful, peaceful place to stay, hike, swim or my favorite, stand around with cows.  

                                            puuohoku.com  

 
ocean front pasture

one lucky bull with offspring and harem

flirty cow

Mommy

the girls,  talkin' about it


no one would believe it if I painted this one

the sweetest cow ever

perfection

chickens crossing the road

boss rooster

           
hen house

Paintings (so far)





No comments:

Post a Comment